Your weekly breakdown of what’s in your Fredagsgrønt, plus suggestions and ideas for what to do with it.
Brought to you by Farm of Ideas, Fredagsgrønt is a weekly vegetable subscription service that provides you with fresh, local and seasonal produce throughout the summer – the same produce used by Relæ, Manfreds, BÆST and Mirabelle Restaurant & Bakery.
For more information and to subscribe, head to Farm of Ideas.
This week’s box includes:
- Cucumber Crystal Apple
- Cucumber Arola
- Zucchini mix
- Sweetcorn from Svanholm
- Fennel Flowers
- Beetroots Avalanche
The summer heat is still gracing Copenhagen and calls for nothing more than a bottle of Pet Nat, a cold salad and a slice of buttered Mirabelle sourdough. If you can find a spot by the water, it might just be the perfect way to spend an afternoon.
Summertime’s favourite fruit pairing is cool cucumbers, known for their refreshing, silky texture. At the Farm of Ideas, we are not growing the standard, watery cucumbers found in supermarkets. We have a selection of heirloom varieties that range from crisp and bitter with a prickly skin to sweet and juicy with edible skin.
One of our favourite salad cucumbers is the Crystal Apple. It is round, firm and has a nice crunch. When in season, the Crystal Apple cucumbers make their way onto the menus of every restaurant within the Relæ Community. Currently at Manfreds, the Crystal Apple cucumbers are sliced into thick wedges and plated with mackerel that has been torched and marinated with olive oil and lemon juice.
The cucumbers are seasoned with salt, lemon juice and a sunflower seed dressing, finished with puffed Danish quinoa sprinkled over the top – adding even more crunch. You can pop by Manfreds to enjoy this while it’s in season, or grab it to go from the Manfreds takeaway menu, with a bottle of wine to enjoy outside in the sunshine – while it lasts…
In your box this week you have a selection of herbs and vegetables that pair perfectly with Apple Cucumbers. Why not try this recipe for Cucumber and Goat’s Curd Salad with Fennel Flowers at home.
Cucumber and Goat’s Curd Salad
- 3 Farm of Ideas Cucumbers, Mixed
- 2 Farm of Ideas Zucchini, Mixed
- 1 Farm of Ideas Kohlrabi
- 1 handful Farm of Ideas Sorrel
- 10 Farm of Ideas Fennel Flowers
- 1 Punnet of Fresh Raspberries
- 1/2 stick of Fresh Goats’ Curd
- 1 handful of crushed walnuts
- 1 Tbs of Honey, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Lemon Juice
- Aged Goat’s Gouda for grating
- Sea Salt to season
- 1 Mandoline or vegetable peeler
- Slice cucumbers into wedges. With a mandoline (or vegetable peeler), slice Zucchini into ribbons
2. Remove the skin of Kohlrabi and with the mandoline, slice into thin slithers
3. Roughly chop the sorrel
4. Place cucumbers, zucchini, kohlrabi and sorrel together in a large salad bowl
5. Tear goats curd with your hands and scatter
6. Add raspberries and chopped walnuts
7. In a separate bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, honey and a pinch of salt
8. Dress your salad and top it with grated aged goat’s gouda and fennel flowers.
Let us know how you got on by tagging your dishes with #fredagsgrønt on Instagram!